Economic development is not just a catchphrase; it touches virtually every issue in Louisiana, from crime to education.
I have focused his energy on growing the economy from the middle out, by supporting Louisiana’s backbone – small businesses.
As Speaker Pro Tempore of the Louisiana House of Representatives, I have strived to be one of the state’s greatest champions for economic opportunity. An avid proponent of innovative programs, workforce development, infrastructure improvements, and fair employment practices, I have sponsored and supported dozens of pieces of legislation to strengthen Louisiana’s economy and help its people prosper.
- Louisiana’s Entertainment Tax Credits Program – supports over $1.1 billion in sales at firms in the state, $770.6 million in household earnings for state citizens, and 15,184 jobs.
- Louisiana New Markets Jobs Act – leverages Federal dollars to generate $55 million in private financing available to local small businesses
- Capital Outlay Programs – strengthens our state’s infrastructure, enhances our District, and makes numerous improvements in the Greater New Orleans Area, including after-school program and school buildings, museums and cultural institutions, health care centers, the Sports & Entertainment District, the French Quarter, and downtown.
- New Orleans Riverfront Revitalization – accelerates New Orleans’ riverfront redevelopment, creating jobs, boosting our local economy, and cementing New Orleans’ position as a top destination for tourists and conventions.
- Medifund – invests in bioinnovation and biomedical research that will create jobs, grow the economy, and promote a knowledge-based economy for Louisiana.
- Education Funding – supports certified classroom teachers with a pay increase and prepares our youth for the jobs of tomorrow.
- Equal Pay for Women – ensures that everyone gets the same pay for the same work and enhances Louisiana’s reputation as a good place to do business.
- Health Care Support – allows our state to access more federal funds, ensuring medical care fits in Louisianan’s budgets, creating 15,600 new jobs, and generating $1.8 billion in additional economic activity.
Much more, visit www.legis.la.gov to find all the bills sponsored by Walt.
Fueling the Jobs Engine
The hard-working people of Louisiana are entitled to the American Dream, which begins with access to well-paying jobs. Walt grew up with a strong work ethic, and he knows what can be accomplished with determination and a helping hand. That’s why he has focused on creating employment opportunities, providing quality education and job training, and offering affordable healthcare options that fit in Louisianans’ budgets.
Fighting for Small Business
By taking care of our local business owners and ensuring that visionaries are able to break into the market, we can ensure a far brighter and more secure future for Louisiana’s economy. Walt’s seen what small businesses can achieve when they are able to overcome financial and bureaucratic obstacles. As a founding board member of DesireNOLA, he worked side-by-side with small businesses to get them back on their feet following Hurricane Katrina.